31 Oct 2018
Signs you need Orthotics for Running
If like me you spend your mornings holding your cup of coffee for dear life whilst scrolling through Instagram’s newsfeed, then you can’t have missed the filtered and beautifully cropped images of all the people who took part in Dublin’s Marathon this weekend.
Now maybe you are already a part of the #fitspo brigade or maybe you want to be a part of the #instafit posse and you have decided running is the way you want to go. Well then you need to keep your foot health in mind before you take the plunge.
When it comes to running many people ignore some of the signs that they are doing damage to their feet, legs, and back. So here are a few signs you need insoles:
This seems pretty obvious for some but for an unseasoned runner, like me, this is not so obvious. There is a major difference between soreness and pain. Your feet can absorb a lot of shock while running (the mere thought of running 5k is shock enough for me). If you can’t tell the difference between foot pain or discomfort it is recommended to have a podiatrist assess your feet, the sooner you do this the less physical damage you will do.
This is not good! You should not experience any pains in your heel. Now it may be that your running form is poor, and you are hitting the pavement wrong or it is possible you may have plantar fasciitis, inflammation of a thick band of tissue that runs on the bottom of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes. Regardless a visit to the podiatrist will help identify if you need orthotics.
Swelling or pain while standing:
People neglect swelling after exercise and think it is normal, all I can say is, no….this is not good. If you experience any discomfort standing still or walking about then there is a high chance, there is something wrong with your stride. Orthotics can help correct it.
Now I have passed on some wisdom, I am going to grab my runners and a family member to take a picture of me being #instafit, after all, if there is no picture posted on Instagram did I ever really go for a run?
- Christmas Time, Teeth Whitening and Wine
- The trials and tribulations of a high heeled hunny.
- Sensodyne Sensitive Dentist of the Year Awards 2018
- Halloween treats that won’t hurt your teeth
- Stay aware to mouth cancer
- Five minutes with Podiatrist, Stephen Stewart
- A case of the dreaded in growing toe nail
- Thinking about tooth whitening?
- A pain in the (lower) back
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award