9 Oct 2018
Halloween treats that won’t hurt your teeth
As the old stories go, October is the time of year when ghosts and goblins come out to play. Whether it’s the turning colours of the leaves, carving faces out of pumpkins, trick or treating or even having a spooky party, Halloween is a calendar favourite.
With all of the fruits and vegetables that come into season during the autumn, there are lots of delicious and spooky, healthy Halloween snack ideas that you can make as an alternative to sweets.
Quick and fun healthy recipes
Many of our team are parents themselves and have their own ‘little monsters’ that’ll be wanting to get out to trick and treat on the 31st October. As parents, we understand that Halloween is all about fun for kids (and adults!) We also understand that the last thing you want to do after a long day of work is to start cooking when packets of sweet treats are so easy to grab- but you’d be surprised how quick and easy some of these healthier recipes are! Take a look at this page for some inspiration. Using eggs, pizza, olives, carrots, smoothies and much more, a whole host of healthier treats can be conjured up!
Sugar and teeth
As dentists, we are only too aware of the effects of sugar on teeth. What many people don’t know is that it is the frequency of contact of sugar substances making contact with teeth that can do the most damage. When sugar mixes with saliva it creates a type of bacteria that can lead to tooth decay. 600ml of Coca-Cola for example, contains 10.6g of sugar, which is the equivalent of two and a half teaspoons. Haribo’s Tangfastic sweets contain 59.9g of sugar per 100 grams! That’s a lot of sugar…
Why not try some of these healthy treat alternatives for Halloween? Perhaps you could serve the kids a healthy meal before going out trick or treating so as to put them off gorging on too many sweets? If you and the family do end up delving into mountains of sweets and chocolate, remember to brush and clean those teeth as well as you can before bedtime.
- Christmas Time, Teeth Whitening and Wine
- The trials and tribulations of a high heeled hunny.
- Signs you need Orthotics for Running
- Sensodyne Sensitive Dentist of the Year Awards 2018
- Stay aware to mouth cancer
- Five minutes with Podiatrist, Stephen Stewart
- A case of the dreaded in growing toe nail
- Thinking about tooth whitening?
- A pain in the (lower) back
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award