14 Sep 2018
A case of the dreaded in growing toe nail
A guest blog by our podiatrist, Stephen Stewart
Most people will have a touch of it at some stage and it is one of the most common problems that clients come to see us about at Carlow Foot Care … The dreaded in growing toenail!
Both painful and irritating, a toenail that begins to grow into the skin (the ‘fulcus’) at the side can be caused by a few factors.
Some people are quite familiar with the notion that tight fitting shoes such as high heels can put pressure on nails and cause problems but did you know that in growing toenails can also be hereditary? Another cause of in growing toenails is repetitive stress. This can often be the case for those that take part in sports regularly such as runners and also dancers. For example, I often treat children who take part in Irish dancing for in growing toenail problems.
Addressing the first point, any podiatrist will tell you that the right footwear is important for keeping your feet healthy. However, I think this is probably a topic for another blog!
In growing toenails can be treated either by ‘conservative’ means or by simple surgical procedure. To treat conservatively, a podiatrist would cut the section of the nail that is growing into the skin. The benefits of this form of treatment are that it is relatively painless and quick. It also provides instant relief. The issues associated are that the nail will grow back. If an in growing toe nail is a persistent problem and a client would like to eradicate the problem completely, then we can offer a simple surgical option. The client is given a local anaesthetic to numb the toe and the podiatrist will cut away the whole section of nail, which is in growing. A chemical called ‘ phenol’ is then applied to the exposed nail bed, which causes a small burn to the skin and prevents further growth of that small section of nail. This treatment has a small recover time and requires the nail to stay dressed for a day or so. It is also not suitable for those under 12 or anyone that is pregnant or has a heart condition.
In growing toenails can be a pain (literally!) but can be treated easily. If you are having trouble with your feet, book in for a consultation with our team by calling 059 913 1667.
Podiatrists, Stephen Stewart and Jennifer O’Neil are the team that make up Carlow Foot Care. They are based at The Granby Clinic, Carlow and Pembroke Dental Bunclody. Find out more about them by visiting www.carlowfootcare.ie.
Photo credit: Julie Johnson via Unsplash
- Halloween treats that won’t hurt your teeth
- Stay aware to mouth cancer
- Five minutes with Podiatrist, Stephen Stewart
- Thinking about tooth whitening?
- A pain in the (lower) back
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Our travelling dentists
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award