28 Aug 2018
Thinking about tooth whitening?
Our home whitening trays are by far the most popular treatment option for patients wanting to whiten their teeth. To be able to take home a custom whitening tray and see sparkling results in the days that follow seems a very 21st century notion but according to this article tooth whitening has been around for centuries. It was actually made popular as a treatment to remove stains and improve the look of teeth in the Victorian era.
Fast forward to 2018 - tooth whitening is a common practice and one our most popular cosmetic dental options. Here at Pembroke Dental, we have our own laboratory where custom-made tooth trays are made in house by technician, Alex. The great thing about home trays is that as a patient, you can control how white you want to go.
The substance used to whiten teeth is called hydrogen peroxide and the brand we use is called Polanite - an agent that is specially made for dentists.
In 2012, new regulations came into place meaning that it is now only legal for a trained dental health professional to provide tooth-whitening treatment. According to the Irish Dental Association tooth whitening products containing over 6% of hydrogen peroxide are illegal for general sale and can only be provided by a dentist. There are a number of whitening toothpastes and strips on the market and patients often ask us about these. Our short answer would be that if you are thinking abut whitening your teeth and want to know more about a product, talk to your dentist first. Some whitening products have beneficial but short-term effects and others can be quite abrasive and should be used with caution. It is always best to consult a professional when considering your options.
The other tooth whitening treatment we offer is Zoom ‘in chair’ whitening. This process involves the patient coming in to see us and having the procedure done here at the practice. We discuss the shade of white that you are looking for and also what is realistic and possible. We ask all of our patients to come in and have a chat with our dentists and also have a dental health check or brief examination before any whitening treatment can commence. We do this so that we can make sure that you are dentally healthy and also to discuss your options.
Tooth whitening can be a great way to improve the look of your smile quite quickly and is often a popular choice for those wanted to sparkle for an upcoming event.
- A case of the dreaded in growing toe nail
- A pain in the (lower) back
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award