7 Aug 2018
A pain in the (lower) back
A guest post by Niamh Brady of Body Kinetic
Physical therapy Clinic at The Granby Clinic, Carlow
One of the interesting things about being a physical therapist is that no two clients are the same. Two people could come in with pain in the same area but with two very different diagnoses. I can often prescribe a differing plan of treatment for two clients with the same pain. As well as treating sports injuries, I also help clients with more day-to-day issues such as RSI (repetitive strain injury) and back pain. Lower back pain is an interesting one as it is very common and can have a variety of reasons behind it. From muscle spasm to a locked joint, the lower back is complicated and there are many ways to put strain onto it.
Recently, I had three clients come to see me in a row. All had lower back pain on the left side but after their initial consultation, I could see that each person had a different problem and required a different course of treatment. The first had a muscle spasm, the second a joint issue and the third a disc pain referral.
Treatment for lower back pain can range from soft tissue mobilisation, joint mobilisation, exercise therapy or a combination of all techniques.
What causes lower back pain and how do you treat it?
Whether it is an injury lifting something heavy, a pulled muscle at the gym or strain from sitting in an awkward position at work, nowadays most physios (contrary to older ideas) would say that when it comes to lower back pain, movement and exercise are better than rest. This little YouTube video from well known Physio Therapy organisation, La Fisioterapia, explains the process well.
Treatments at Body Kinetic
The way in which I work is geared totally around the needs of the individual and in order to provide a bespoke service, we begin with an initial consultation and examination. After the consultation, a one on one course of treatment is planned followed by a programme of gentle stretching and exercise in accordance with the injury. At Body Kinetic, I offer a range of treatments that cover a broad scale of injuries. These include:
• Biomechanical Assessment
• Joint Mobilisation
• Joint Manipulation
• Electro Therapy
• Ultrasound Therapy
• Interferential Therapy
• TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)
• Myofacial Trigger Point Therapy
• Muscle Energy Therapy
• Advanced Soft Tissue Manipulation
• Strapping and Taping
• Stretching and Exercise Programmes
• Dry needling
- A case of the dreaded in growing toe nail
- Thinking about tooth whitening?
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award