30 Jul 2018
Taking care of older teeth
We have just finished reading an excellent article by Harvard university on ageing teeth and how to keep them younger. We were so impressed that we decided to create our own post on the subject…
With age, many things in our body change and unfortunately, teeth are no exception. The good news is that the days when it was almost 100% certain that you would need dentures when you reached a certain age are gone! More adults than ever are finding that if a good dental health routine is maintained, they are able to keep most of their teeth healthy and natural.
Obstacles and what you can do
Although teeth are the hardest known substance in the body, after years of wear and tear, chewing and chomping, the outer layers of enamel can become worn and with lots of food and drink containing added sugar, erosion of the enamel can come into play. We recommend cutting down on foods and drink with added sugar and making sure that you maintain a good brushing routine in the morning and before bed. Those who find that they have trouble brushing their own teeth due to a disability for example, may find an electric brush more effective as this can be moved around the mouth easily or someone else can help with this.
Did you know that periodontal disease (gum disease) is the most likely culprit for tooth loss in older adults? Receding gums and wobbly teeth play a part and can turn into more serious problems such as deterioration of the jawbone if left untreated. Gum disease is often called ‘the silent disease’ as it can go undetected and often begins with just a little plaque build up. If a person has a good dental health routine and makes regular visits to their dentist for check ups, gum disease can be kept at bay. We recommend that older people make more frequent visits to our hygienists to help keep their teeth and gums healthy and clean. A hygienist can also help tailor make a dental health routine that works best for each patient.
Years of coffee, wine and sometimes tobacco can leave the teeth stained and yellowing. As we grow older, enamel can also get thin so the yellow interior of the tooth which is called the dentin can start to show more. Many people opt for tooth whitening treatment to help brighten their smiles. If you are thinking about whitening your teeth, we would recommend talk to our dentists about the best tooth whitening option as some ingredients can cause sensitivity whilst others work without issue.
If things have got a little past the stage of prevention, we offer a range of state of the art treatments to help restore and repair teeth to a healthier and functional state. These include implant retained dentures and custom made, flexible dentures and bridges which are created at our lab in Carlow!
We also have one of the countries top prosthodontists who can provide specialist restorative and cosmetic treatments such as composite bonding, crack and chip repairs and even full smile makeovers. For more information on these, please feel free to book in for a consultation or give us a call to talk through your options.
Although we offer a wide range of treatments, prevention is always better than cure. Making sure that you have a good brushing and flossing routine at home is essential. We also recommend keeping regular appointments with your dentist so that we can make sure any issues are caught early on. Maintaining healthy and functional teeth and gums is the goal.
- The trials and tribulations of a high heeled hunny.
- Signs you need Orthotics for Running
- Sensodyne Sensitive Dentist of the Year Awards 2018
- Halloween treats that won’t hurt your teeth
- Stay aware to mouth cancer
- Five minutes with Podiatrist, Stephen Stewart
- A case of the dreaded in growing toe nail
- Thinking about tooth whitening?
- A pain in the (lower) back
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award