24 Jul 2018
Retainers - why wear them?
Like keeping a picture preserved in a frame or even backing up a year of precious work onto a hard drive or the icloud, wearing your retainer is the way that you can maintain all of your hard work and ‘retain’ your new smile.
Many people treat retainers as an after thought but they are essential in keeping your teeth in line once your treatment has finished. The teeth that you have on show are part of a much longer bone that is rooted into the jaw. When you have braces, your teeth are being moved into a new, more desirable or healthy position but here’s the thing, teeth have memory. If left unguarded, it is highly likely that they will eventually try to move back towards their original position, particularly as you get older. The British Orthodontic Society recently did a ‘Hold That Smile’ campaign around retention and created this short animation which explains more.
Types of retainers
- Removable retainers - There are also ‘Essix’ retainers which are clear plastic moulds that’s slot around teeth and look a lot like Invisalign aligners. There are also the older type which come in the form of traditional appliances with wires that go across the teeth and fixed to a disk which rests at the top of the mouth. Both are designed to be worn at night.
- Fixed retainers - A thin, discreet wire which is permenantly fixed onto the backs of teeth.
Grown up problems
Say you had braces as a child and have been enjoying your straight teeth for a number of years. You don’t need to wear a retainer right? Wrong. Retainers must in fact be worn for life. Adults who have had braces as a teenager and have lost or not worn their retainers often find that their teeth start to move. In fact, many of the adult patients we see have had braces before but found that their teeth had started to shift due to not wearing a retainer regularly in the past.
If you have braces, whether you have opted for fixed braces, Invisalign, clear braces or removable braces, wearing your retainer afterwards is essential to maintain all of that good work!
Whether you have a fixed retainer or provided with a removable one, it is important that you maintain it so that it continues to serve you well. Your dentist or orthodontist can help you repair a wire or replace your retainer if it begins to loose its shape after a time.
- Taking care of older teeth
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award