7 Jun 2018
Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
You already have your dental health checks every year so why should you need to go for a hygiene appointment? A hygiene appointment is conducted by a dentist or specially trained member of our team called a hygienist. Their knowledge enables them to examine at the health of your gums, teeth and mouth, provide a professional clean and help you with your own home, dental health routine. Hygiene appointments are much more than just a professional clean (although they are very good at it!) Alongside our dentists, our hygiene team can support you in maintaining a super duper dental health routine and help keep any further complicated or costly treatments at bay.
What happens during a hygiene appointment?
After a friendly welcome, your hygienist may begin by asking you a few questions. What kind of toothbrush do you use? Do you use inter dental brushes for between your teeth? They will then provide a dental mouth examination before deciding the level of deep clean that you need. A hygienist also looks at the health of your gums and measures the space between your gums and teeth to make sure that your gums are healthy or to take the first steps in treating any issues. Although their skills extend further than providing a professional clean, ‘plaque control’ is what they are famous for. We believe that a clean by one of our hygienist is like no other! As well as priding ourselves on our gentle and friendly team, our hygienists use professional dental ingredients and tools, giving your mouth what feels like a healthy 'mouth manicure'. They will clean away any hardened plaque and really get in between teeth and close to the gum line.
A mouth manicure?
A beautiful, healthy smile is what we all strive for and keeping regular hygiene appointments are a great way to help you keep on top of your dental health and even keep bad breath at bay. Bad breath is often caused by bacteria in the mouth (yuk!) which can we caused by a build up of plaque or old food debris caught in the tiny gaps between teeth. If you think that teeth have five sides (front, back, top and sides between), then you can envision how difficult it can be to reach all of these with just tooth brushing alone. Our hygienists can give all sides of your teeth a good clean and help you boost your own cleaning routine.
Extra note: Hygiene appointment are especially important if you are having orthodontic treatment. With all of those extras nooks and crannies around wires and brackets, there are extra places for old food to hide and tartar to build up!
- Halloween treats that won’t hurt your teeth
- Stay aware to mouth cancer
- Five minutes with Podiatrist, Stephen Stewart
- A case of the dreaded in growing toe nail
- Thinking about tooth whitening?
- A pain in the (lower) back
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Our travelling dentists
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award