10 May 2018
Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
By now you have probably heard of Invisalign. Branded as the ‘clear alternative to braces’, this removable clear aligner system has become a household name over the past few years. Invisalign is especially popular for those wanting straighter teeth without having to have metal braces on show.
Over the past decade, more and more adults have started to enquire about having braces. A bit like the chicken and the egg, we are not sure whether more discreet tooth straightening options appeared due to a higher number of adults asking for treatment or whether more adults ask for treatment because of the more discreet options.
Invisalign is a type of clear plastic aligner which is custom made to fit snugly over the teeth. Over the course of treatment, a range of aligners are created as the teeth begin to move. Patients come in around every 2-3 weeks to have a new aligner fitted. During this time, our orthodontist will check the progress of teeth and look out for any issues or changes. Aligners are removable for eating and cleaning and each new aligner takes the adjustment of your teeth that one step further.
Here at Pembroke we like to cover all bases when it comes to our patients needs and a few years ago we introduced a new visiting orthodontic specialist to the team, Dr Akram Jasim. Dr Jasim is with us almost every day and can provide a number of tooth straightening options for both children and adults. As well as being a tooth straightening specialist, he is also a certified Invisalign provider and offers free consultations for those considering this type of treatment to see whether it is the best choice for them. Consultations are important because they are a chance for Dr Jasim to take a proper look at your teeth and mouth and assess your orthodontic need. They are also a chance for you to get to know your orthodontist and team of nurses who will be caring for you.
- The advantages are that the aligners are relatively unnoticeable when you are wearing them.
- They are removed when you are eating so your eating habits don’t have to change while you are having your teeth straightened!
- Invisalign is a well known brand and say that over 5 million* people have had the treatment.
- We also offer Invisalign Teen for younger patients.
- You must avoid wearing the aligners while drinking hot liquids so hot tea and coffee drinkers beware.
- Some patients say that the ability to remove the aligners during treatment can sometimes slow things down as they may forget to put them in at times. The aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours a day and if they are not, the final result you will get is compromised.
- If you have a more complex orthodontic problem, you may not be a suitable candidate for Invisalign.
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award