2 May 2018
Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
The summer holiday season is fast approaching. Whether you are jetting off to an exotic location in the sun, driving to a countryside campsite, heading to a festival for some music and dancing or planning a city break, holidays take a lot of planning. Among those plans, it is important not to forget about your dental health! Whilst wining, dining, sunning yourself or partying, remembering to keep your teeth and gums healthy and clean is essential. Here are a few easy tips:
1. Drink water
First off, make sure that you stay hydrated. Drinking water is important when it is hot anyway but as a drink of choice over sweetened, fizzy drinks, it is much more beneficial to your teeth. Studies show that soft drinks and other sugary beverages contribute to the effect of dental erosion and decay. The fewer sweetened drinks and the less alcohol you consume, the better it is for your teeth. Drinking water after eating also removes damaging acids from your mouth. We recommend regular sips of water throughout the day. and evening!
2. Don’t forget your toothbrush
Don’t forget your toothbrush and toothpaste when you’re packing! Nothing can replace the benefits of a good brush for two minutes, twice a day. If you are wearing braces, you may want to clean your teeth more often and pack extra items such as Tepe (inter dental brushes) brushes, mouthwash and wax. Be sure to keep your toothbrush super clean by picking up a little reusable toothbrush cover. If push comes to shove, you could even use a plastic bag to keep things tidy.
3. Sugar free gum
When you’re spending most of your time exploring, eating, partying and sunning yourself, brushing your teeth twice a day isn’t going to be at the top of your list of things to do. Something that can help between brushes, is keeping a few packets of sugar free chewing gum handy and chewing on a piece after eating or drinking. While this is no replacement for brushing your teeth, the gum will encourage your mouth to produce more saliva which can help combat the build up of bacteria. It will at least tied you over until you can get back to your toothbrush.
This one is less about health and more about the look of things! Ladies, if you want your teeth to look whiter and brighter during your stay in the sun, bring a bright colour of lipstick to slick on before you head out to the beach. Red or pink will detract from any stains on your teeth and appear to brighten your smile.
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award