25 Apr 2018
The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
It has been said that ‘The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body’ and this can be a good way to think about the way in which the two are connected. Essentially, when you look after your mouth, you are also looking after other parts of your body too.
Your mouth is the way in which you enable food and nutrients into your system. It also has direct connections with your blood stream and nervous system. The health of your teeth and gums are equally important as your gums are the soft tissue that keep your teeth in place. Sometimes your gum health can even be an indicator of the health of the body elsewhere.
Scientific studies have established that there is a link between your gums and your heart. Gum Disease (known as Periodontal disease) where the gum becomes inflamed, tender and in it’s more serious form, causes tooth loss (in some cases) can be linked to heart disease, strokes and other heart related issues. One Professor Linden of the British Heart Foundation found that those with moderate to serious cases of gum disease had a 69% higher risk of Type 2 diabetes which in turn can increase the risk of heart disease.
The good news is that by brushing and flossing regularly, you can prevent gum disease. At Pembroke Dental, we place a high value on the health of our patient’s teeth and that’s why our dental health checks and bespoke hygiene appointments are at the centre of all we do here. We think that gum health is so important that we have recently taken on a specialist Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie. Dr Philip Christie is a Master in Periodontology and a Master in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy as well as an Author and Wellness Coach. He has even written a book on disease prevention and behavioural understanding which is called Something To Chew On: A Mouth Map to Health.
What is a Periodontist?
A periodontist is a dentist with a special interest in gums and gum health as well as the effect of gum health on overall general health.
He/She is the dentist that takes a special interest in all these things and is a guardian of overall health as it shows in the mouth. In a nutshell, the Periodontist helps to treat and manage all sorts of gum conditions.
Why might I see a Periodontist?
Like most things, catching gum disease early is best. Our hygiene team can help identify any problems, give your teeth and mouth a professional clean and help you tailor make a better home dental health routine. There are a variety of reasons why you might be referred to a periodontist which include:
• Your teeth are starting to shift or feel loose
• Your teeth feel different when you bite down on food
• You have pain when eating
Knowledge is power and with the help of your dentist, you can arm yourself as a patient with the tools to maintain a healthy mouth.
What Can You Do?
There are three essential steps that a person can take to manage the health of mouth and body.
1) Reduce the consumption of sugar. Sugar appears naturally in many types of foods (even fruit!) but our modern addiction to the sweet stuff is causing high rates of tooth decay and other health problems. A great way to avoid consuming too much sugar is to avoid regularly eating or drinking things containing added sugar such as fizzy drinks, sweets and cakes. Keep these as a treat! It is also important to think about how frequently your teeth and gums are coming into contact with sugar. Ie: sipping a fizzy or juice drink over time may be worse than having it with your meal.
2) Develop a full proof dental health routine at home with the help of your dentist or hygienist including 2X daily brushing and flossing.
3) Keep regular appointments with your dentist to make sure that everything is in tip-top health.
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award