20 Apr 2018
Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
What is your area of speciality in the Granby Clinic?
I have a number of special areas in dentistry. The main one is the treatment and maintenance of gum disease. This is an important area because gum disease has possible serious implications for our general health.
What do you like most about visiting and working at the Granby Clinic?
My time at the Granby has been an excellent experience. The nurses and receptionist are respectful and courteous. The management are constantly looking to improve the facility and service and those facilities and services are already of the highest standard!
What sort of treatments do you provide as part of your specialism?
- My main treatment area is the treatment of Gum Disease and the creation of health in the mouth.
- I also treat problems with bite and function in the mouth system – this area is sometimes referred to as occlusion or sometimes known as form and function. I prefer form and function- this is an aspect of helping create a healthy mouth and part of the treatment of gum disease.
- I also place Implants to replace missing teeth.
- I am an expert in dealing with dental anxiety and phobia (fear of the dentist) and am qualified in Cognitive Behavioural Theory.
How would you describe yourself in 3 words
That a difficult one! I would describe myself as a wise, caring and compassionate clinician.
What do you think is the most important thing people need to know about their gums?
By far the most important thing that people need to know about their gums is that gum health is an indicator of overall health and wellness. The gum health can be seen as a mirror to general health. Although there are genetic factors and stress factors at work, there is so much that we can do to create and maintain a healthy mouth.
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- Invisalign Open Day
- What would we do without you?
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award