30 Mar 2018
What is a smile makeover?
When you think of a makeover, it could conjure up an image of a session with a makeup artist, a deluxe DIY home improvement from a television show or perhaps a new hairstyle to make you feel ready for the new season? There is another type of makeover and this one is to do with your teeth, gums and mouth.
You may have heard of the term, Smile Makeover before but what does it mean?
A smile makeover is a process in which a patient’s smile and in tern; often facial appearance is improved by a combination of cosmetic dental treatments.
Cosmetic dentistry can range from simple treatments such as tooth whitening which can come in the form of home trays provided by a dentist through to teeth reshaping with composite bonding, dental veneers and more long term solutions such as dental implants for the replacement of missing teeth.
In dentistry, as well as your general dentist, there are also dentists with extra special training in a certain areas. We call these specialists. Here at Pembroke Dental, we have a number of visiting specialists providing treatment such as orthodontics through to complicated restorative treatments such as dental implants. Once such specialist here is Dr Darrelle Power. She is a prosthodontist with a long list of qualifications and even a history in lecturing at New York University about her specialism. A prosthodontist specialises in the replacement and restoration of missing, broken or damaged teeth as well as being able to reshape individual teeth, building on broken teeth and provide a combination of treatments such as would be required for a smile makeover.
When thinking about any cosmetic dental procedure, Dr Power, would not only consider the individual teeth that needed work, she would also have to take the facial structure, appearance, gum tissue and even skin and hair tone colours into consideration. Alignment of teeth and general facial harmony are also components that would be looked at during an examination and throughout treatment.
Every patient’s needs are different. One patient may only require a few treatments for their new smile, whilst others may need more. A comprehensive smile makeover may even involve a number of specialists as well as the patient’s general dentist. For this reason, communication between all parties is essential to make sure that the patient gets a final result that they can be proud of.
For the convenience of our patients and thanks to our
visiting specialists and treatment co coordinators, we are able to provide all of these treatments under one roof - so there is no need to travel. The great thing about this is that the dentist our patients have come to know will be able to be present throughout the treatment journey.
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award