8 Mar 2018
Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
Oral health educator and receptionist
What is your position in Pembroke Dental?
I am an Oral Health Educator and run the cool clean club- Pembroke Dental’s children’s dental health initiative and enjoy these fun orientated + educational oral hygiene instruction sessions. I work on reception in Pembroke Dental, where I enjoy welcoming our patients to their appointments and also completing administrative duties as well. On occasion I assist the dentist as a dental nurse should the need arise.
What does your average day look like?
It is an early start, with school drop off before I arrive at Pembroke ready to greet and welcome patients to their appointments from 8.30am. I complete administrative duties as well – answering calls, form and payment processing, answering patient queries and e-mails too. On occasion I assist the dentist in my role as a dental nurse should the need arise. On Friday afternoons, it’s Cool Clean Club time - these are fun, child-orientated educational sessions where we teach our young patients about types of teeth, teeth function, plaque formation, oral hygiene instruction and about dentally friendly snacks and drinks.
How would you describe yourself in three words?
Friendly, Caring and hardworking
Why did you set up the Cool Clean Club?
The Cool Clean Club was set up after what we saw was a lack of dental health education available for children. We wanted to equip children and their parents with the knowledge and tools to retain a healthy mouth and overall wellbeing for life. We keep messages simple and make sure that our games are easy to understand and fun.
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award