22 Feb 2018
Getting them off to the right start
Early intervention, preventative care and children’s teeth
The term ‘early intervention’ may sound a little foreboding but it really shouldn’t do! When we talk about early intervention, we use it to describe a fun and friendly way of working with children at an early age to help them learn about their teeth and gums and how to maintain a healthy mouth for life.
Sadly, sometimes a child may visit the dentist for the first time with a problem such as tooth decay and it can create a real negative stamp on their first dental memory. A difficult dental experience as a child can sometimes lead to anxiety about going to the dentist as an adult and we want to help patients avoid this. Why? Well, teeth are the strongest bones in our bodies. They help us to chew food, speak and even form our facial structure. We like to take a preventive approach to dentistry in order to try to protect natural teeth, where we can rather than just focus on treating problems later on.
So what do we do?
We have a special children’s dental health check as well as our award winning Cool Clean Club but what about younger children? We aim to make their visits fun and enjoyable and our friendly dentists and nurses really help. Some of our team, such as Dr Davina Graham have a special interest in children’s dentistry. Of treating children, Davina says “Bringing young children in with their older siblings is advised so they get used the environment… We aim to make a child’s first dental visit fun and enjoyable, which sets them up for continued positive experiences at the dentist in the future. “
Early education is also important in order to get children off to a good start. It is a common misconception that baby teeth don’t matter because they eventually fall out, but they are the tiny markers that save the space for permanent adult teeth and certainly do matter. Taking care of baby teeth and gums helps give you child’s mouth a head start. In the UK and Ireland, campaigns such as Dental Check by 1 have helped draw awareness to the importance of bringing your child along to the dentist early on. One of the benefits of this is that they can get used to us and we are able to take a little look in their mouths and find out about any health conditions or medication that may affect things in the future.
Whatever way you choose to introduce your child to the dentist, our friendly team will be here to support you.
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award