15 Feb 2018
Keeping kids teeth healthy!
Making sure that our patients are dentally healthy doesn’t stop with the grown ups. Preventive dentistry means giving patients the tools and support to stay dentally healthy and is a big part of what we do. With this philosophy, how could we not think about children?
Dentists and nurses know that a young persons mouth is different from an adults. We also know that a visit to the dentist can make some children feel nervous. That’s why we offer a specially tailored children’s dental health check. During the check, we go slowly, explaining each instrument and procedure. Some times we even make treatment a bit more fun with laughs and games whilst the child is in the chair.
Many of our team are mum’s and dad’s themselves and one of nurses recently showed us all this super cute episode of Pepper Pig called ‘Pepper visits the Dentist’ which helps explain the sort of thing that happens during a normal dental health check.
Our dental health checks for adults and children are the visit that is at the core of all we do here and this year we were delighted to have won Best Child Friendly Practice 2018 in the Irish Dentistry Awards. Part of the reason for this was due to our famous kids club- which was the first of it’s kind in Ireland. If one of our dentists or nurses hear or spot a little one who needs a little helping hand, we always tell them about our children’s dental health club.
The Cool Clean Club is based just above our surgeries in Carlow and is run by our very own oral health educator, Rachel Murphy. Working closely with our hygienists and dentists, Rachel has a little programme of fun games and experiments to help children from aged 5 to 12 years old get interested in their teeth and gums. The club meets on Fridays and even has it’s own mascots – ‘Sparkle’ and ‘Spike’ the dragons and ‘Whitey the Wizardess’.
By working with the rest of our team, Rachel is able to tailor each session to an individual child’s needs. Another great thing is that if you’ve booked your kiddie in for a children’s dental health check then they are entitled to a free pass to the club. All you need to do is book a slot!
Here is a storyboard of some of the things we get up to during a Cool Clean Club session.
- A case of the dreaded in growing toe nail
- Thinking about tooth whitening?
- A pain in the (lower) back
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award