20 Oct 2017
Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
There seems to be a growing health crisis among Irish children - and now new research has found that half of parents think their children are getting enough exercise during the school day even though most aren't.
Insurance company Irish Life Health found that 90% of secondary schools are providing under two hours of physical education a week, despite guidelines of an hour a day, or seven hours a week.
Parents haven’t noticed this failure, with 42% believing their child is getting enough exercise at school, and 58% admitting they would struggle to make up the five hour shortfall with their child.
Irish Life Health surveyed 70 PE teachers and 82% said the PE curriculum needs to be changed. The research was commissioned to mark the launch of its sixth Schools Fitness Challenge, which aims to help pupils adopt a healthier lifestyle.
It shows kids the impact a simple six-week programme can have on their fitness levels, and last year more than a quarter of secondary schools in Ireland took part.
If your child has been registered by their PE teacher this year, they might be doing contact sports as part of their exercise programme, so ask us about mouthguards.
Irish Olympian and Irish Life Health ambassador Thomas Barr said: "I've always used my athletics as a break from studying - nothing cleared my head like getting out for a training session with my friends.
"It's so important that teenagers start exercising now and have fun doing it, to ensure that healthy lifestyle habits are established early on. The Irish Life Health Schools Fitness Challenge is a great place to start."
Professor Niall Moyna at the Centre for Preventive Medicine in Dublin City University helped to create the challenge. He said: "Physical education programmes in our schools have huge shortcomings, and the fact that so many of our children are overweight and unfit leaving school is clear proof of this.
"If our children were failing maths leaving school we would quickly look at why and we need to do the same with PE as it's simply not working the way it is taught in our schools."
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award