15 Sep 2017
Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
Men in Carlow are being urged to get checked for high blood pressure after a survey found that men have a higher chance of stroke and heart attack than women.
Irish Heart’s Mobile Health Unit service tested more than 11,000 people in the past year in 26 counties and found that two in five have high blood pressure.
Irish Heart health check manager Marese Damery said: "What this evaluation has highlighted is that men are more likely than women to have high blood pressure and even when advised to visit a GP, men are less likely to act on that advice.
"This is a continuing challenge for those of us who work in the health arena and especially when dealing with a silent risk factor like blood pressure, where a person can feel fine and not know that they have a problem.
“We would advise people over the age of 30 to have it checked at least once a year. You should also look at your family history because that can be one of the causes of high blood pressure.”
People already diagnosed with high blood pressure are being encouraged to visit the Mobile Health Unit service (which can be found through the Irish Heart website) after results showed 63% of people who were aware they had a history of high blood pressure still tested high.
Irish Heart recommends that people continue having regular checks with a doctor to ensure blood pressure is well managed. A normal blood pressure reading is 120 over 80 (120/80).
High blood pressure is estimated to affect almost one million people in Ireland and is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and stroke. Irish Heart aims to reduce premature deaths from heart disease and stroke by a quarter by 2025.
Its website says that every hour someone in Ireland suffers from a stroke and every day hundreds of people are diagnosed with heart disease. Up to 10,000 die each year, making heart disease and stroke the nation’s biggest killer.
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award