25 Aug 2017
How dogs domesticated humans
We love dogs at Pembroke Dental, and so we didn’t really know how to take the news that there’s a scientific reason why dogs love humans.
You know the way they follow you around, are endlessly loyal and attentive, and display unconditional love 24/7? Apparently it’s linked to a congenital disorder that’s also found in humans, called Williams-Beuren syndrome.
Sort of breaks the magic of it a little, doesn’t it? In a paper published in Science Advances, scientists compared a group of domestic dogs and wolves.
Both were told to retrieve food, first in the presence of human beings and then in isolation, and the margin by which the wolves beat the dogs was much greater in the first instance.
Bridgett vonHoldt of Princeton University said: “It’s not that they couldn’t solve the puzzle, they were just too busy looking at the human to do it.”
The dogs were different from the wolves because of their hypersociability, and they were found to be much more reliant on humans than the wolves. They wanted help from humans and, basically, just wanted to spend more time with them.
The scientists found that two missing genes in dogs lead to this hypersociability, which can also be linked to Williams-Beuren syndrome, a disorder in humans associated with intense sociability.
The authors said the findings showed “there are commonalities in the genetic architecture of Williams-Beuren syndrome and canine tameness”.
Did the first wolves to come and make friends with humans in our distant past have these gene variants? The ones that were bold and aggressive would likely have been killed by humans — in line with our usual policy of extermination — but the ones that were bold and friendly might have been tolerated.
Maybe the two missing genes are the secret behind how dogs domesticated humans, and why to this day we find ourselves devoting so much time to them, even writing this blog…
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award