18 Aug 2017
Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
We all know men can find it difficult to talk about feelings and emotions, and that often there isn’t much encouragement for them to take an interest in their own health and wellbeing.
The Irish Men’s Shed Association (IMSA) was set up in 2011 to tackle exactly this problem. It helps men establish community clubs — “sheds” — where members can get what they need to be healthy in a way that suits them. It’s about men taking control of their health and self-esteem.
Now the IMSA has launched a website to reach even more men. It links to more than 40 Irish health organisations, and is fun to use: visitors enter their age and then work through a tongue in cheek visual of their body, from head to toe, like they are servicing a vehicle.
As the Men’s Sheds website says, good health is based on many factors including feeling good about yourself, being productive and valuable to your community, connecting to friends and maintaining an active body and mind.
Great oral health is part of that mix, which is why there is a link to the Dental Health Foundation Ireland in the head section of the man chassis. A yearly check-up and hygiene appointment at Pembroke Dental will take care of this bit for you.
RTÉ’s Marty Morrissey, who was at the website launch in Dublin, said he was one of those men who was not too careful about his health, and had been terrified waiting for tests recently on a persistent cough. He said: “Loneliness is a terrible thing in Ireland, which is why Sheds are so important. A good friend of mine in radio is to retire in October. He doesn’t want to. You need that sense of belonging.”
Fergal Fox from the HSE said the event was a significant day for men’s health in Ireland, “the first country in the world to develop a men’s health policy”.
IMSA’s Edel Byrne said men were generally at greater risk healthwise than women and died on average four and a half years earlier. Unlike women, men usually don’t ask for help, and many men are less healthy than women, drinking more, taking more risks and suffering more from isolation, loneliness and depression.
- Christmas Time, Teeth Whitening and Wine
- The trials and tribulations of a high heeled hunny.
- Signs you need Orthotics for Running
- Sensodyne Sensitive Dentist of the Year Awards 2018
- Halloween treats that won’t hurt your teeth
- Stay aware to mouth cancer
- Five minutes with Podiatrist, Stephen Stewart
- A case of the dreaded in growing toe nail
- Thinking about tooth whitening?
- A pain in the (lower) back
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award