4 Aug 2017
Handle mail order braces with care
Mail order braces, teeth whitening and veneers caused more complaints from dissatisfied patients last year, and patients have been warned to be careful about what they order online.
Do-it-yourself dentistry is a recent and popular phenomenon, largely because it is relatively cheap, and it’s now possible to order teeth straightening online through suppliers such as Your Smile Direct — yet some companies selling kits by post are often not dentists.
Dental Complaints Resolution Services facilitator Michael Kilcoyne received 10 complaints last year from people who bought dental kits online, and the number is increasing. He said he couldn’t deal with the complaints because the people supplying the products were not registered dentists.
Speaking at the launch of the DCRS’s fifth annual report, Mr Kilcoyne said: “I have to tell those consumers I can’t do anything for you. The service can only deal with complaints where there is a registered dentist involved who is practising in the Republic.”
The Dental Council, which regulates the dental profession, warned earlier this year that “purchasing an appliance without an appropriate examination or ongoing dental support could compromise your treatment”.
Consumers receive a kit to take impressions of their own teeth and send them off in the post, and a brace is made to fit the impression. Some companies use PO box addresses for their services, so they are difficult to reach if something goes wrong.
At Pembroke Dental we would always advise an in depth consultation with one of our experienced orthodontists so we can assess what’s best for your long term dental health, and choose from our range of proven orthodontic treatments.
The DCRS, which is a voluntary service, dealt with102 complaints last year, down from 134 in 2015 and 158 in 2014. Mr Kilcoyne said: “The drop to 102 last year is welcome and may well reflect a trend towards greater engagement between dentists and patients.”
He added that he received “a sizeable” number of complaints from dental tourists who had travelled abroad because of attractive prices, but again could do little to help because the dentists were not regulated by the Dental Council.
NB: YourSmileDirect wanted us to clarify they do not provide any DIY dental treatments, and all of their dental treatments are prescribed by a licensed and registered dentist who is fully insured.
- Taking care of older teeth
- Retainers - why wear them?
- Beautiful teeth on the big day
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award